Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No. 756

Photo courtesy of AP Photo - Eric Risberg

Barry Bonds stands alone. The Giants slugger hit his 756 career home run, tonight Aug. 7, off Washington Nationals' pitcher Mike Bacsik. Bonds crushed a 3-2 pitch in fifth inning approximately 435-feet to right-center field.

Looking on in the picture is home plate umpire John Hirschbeck and Washington catcher Brian Schneider. Bonds' home run stood to be a potential game winner, but the Nationals rallied in the latter innings and won the game 8-6.

"I would like to offer my congratulations to Barry Bonds on becoming baseball's career home run leader. It is a great accomplishment which requires skill, longevity and determination. Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years. I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historical achievement. My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams."
~Hank Aaron

No comments: