Monday, February 28, 2011

The Thrill of Victory After 310 Tries

No. 1 for a night: Caltech's basketball team started losing before these guys were born.

March Madness is almost upon us. And for NCAA Division III teams the bracket is already out.

One school that will navigate the weird 61-team draw to experience the thrills of winning it all (I'm hoping it's my alma mater).

But, it's hard to imagine the feeling will be greater than what a fellow DIII school experienced last Tuesday.

Caltech, known for its brains not its brawn, won its first league basketball game in 310 tries. That's 26 years of being a doormat.

I've played on my fair share of bad teams from little league to high school and college intramurals, but I can't fathom a lifetime of conference losing.

The streak dated back to Jan. 23, 1985, before its current players were even born.

Google bound Ryan Elmquist hit the winning free-throw with 3.3 seconds left lifting his team to the 46-45 win over Occidental, starting a completely appropriate storming of the court celebration.

Caltech ended its season with five wins in all, none bigger than the fifth.

3 comments:

Peter Burke said...

Good for them! Most schools would have discontinued the program long ago. I'm glad they kept it around, if for no other reason than to celebrate this victory.

(Bad intramural teams? I can't remember any!!!!)

Nich said...

That is so aweomse! I agree with Burke, good for them for keeping the program alive. I didn't know about this. Thanks.

Elizabeth said...

This is a really great story.