Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oregon's New Court Gets Lost in the Woods

Go behind the scenes of the new Matthew Knight Arena.

The University of Oregon should probably just renamed itself Nike U.

Nike's co-founder Phil Knight was a Duck. Thanks to his riches they have the most unique football uniforms in the country and can now lay claim the most unique basketball court in the college ranks.

Kilkenny Floor, named after long-time UO athletics supporter Pat Kilkenny, is framed by a forest of trees inspired by the Pacific Northwest's landscape and the Ducks 1939 national title team nicknamed "The Tall Firs."

Nike's always pushing the design envelope and rather than making the court bright yellow, the symbolism stands out.

Why the court will be recognizable on any TV set, I think there's one issue. Of the few highlights I saw from the Ducks home opener, a 68-62 victory over USC, I couldn't focus on the plays. My eyes were memorized by the court.

The Ducks slogan in the center of the court, "Deep in the Woods," is meant to intimidate opposing teams.

Rather I think they'll get "lost in the woods" playing on those tall firs. That's really the point, creating an unbeatable home court advantage.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's weird. Don't get me wrong, I love all the creativity and envelope pushing that Oregon brings to otherwise conservative and boring college football/basketball/baseball/volleyball uniforms and sometimes even apparel, but the floor is kind of distracting. I'll have to try and watch a real game to see if I can concentrate on the play or the floor. Hands down it's beautiful!

Peter Burke said...

I agree Elizabeth. It is beautiful. It actually looks like they are playing outdoors and the trees are the shadows cast on the court. I doubt that this kind of stylization will catch on at less free-spirited universities. The Northwest is definitely trying some new stuff out with the EWU's red turf and now Oregon's court.
By the way, Pete, did you see that Santa Clara knocked off Gonzaga this week? They had a sophomore that scored 36 points.