Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Three Games, Three Days (revisited)


I haven't been blogging much recently, because I'm still reveling in my latest baseball adventure. For the third-straight summer I managed to plan a vacation around seeing as many MLB games as possible.

I failed to write about last year's trip (to Philadelphia, Baltimore and D.C.), which was a blast, but I did include a couple pictures (see above). But you can read about my original three games in three days experience out in California.

Back to my most recent trip. In four days, I was able to watch the Cincinnati Reds, Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates all take the field. While the baseball wasn't the greatest (the Pirates got one-hit), all the ballparks offer the complete game day atmosphere.

Cincinnati's Great American Ball Park on the winding banks of the Ohio River, makes for a very scenic view to catch a game. But aside from the Riverboat and its deck camped out beyond center field there's not much that stands out.

That's unlike Detroit's Comerica Park. As you walk toward Comerica your eyes drawn to the massive Tiger sculptures lining the sides and top of the park. Once inside a Ferris wheel, sculptures of past-Tiger greats and the decade-by-decade pedestrian museum all are vying for you attention. The scoreboard has an old school look that's forgettable, but that's because the rest of stadium is unforgettable.

I won't rave for paragraphs about my favorite park to watch a game in, PNC Park. The limestone-lined park has a classic feel and the gorgeous backdrop of the Pittsburgh skyline set next to the Allegheny River. Overall, I think PNC offers the complete fan experience.

It's hard to tell where the next baseball trip will take me, but for now enjoy the pictures from all of my baseball fun in '08 and '09 (including a bonus visit to the Northwest).

1 comment:

Jessica Davis said...

Great slideshow! The stadiums are so interesting and each are very different. Thanks for putting this together.